Thursday 16 September 2010

Scientists identify brain's region for introspection

I thought this was quite funny ("...Funny how? What the fuck is so funny about me? Tell me. Tell me what's funny?.." etc):

Scientists identify brain's region for introspection

It wasn't so much that some kind of phenomena or other has been identified, which might, upon closer examination, mean something. No, it was this, from Dr Steve Fleming, of University College London:

"Take the example of two patients with mental illness, one who is aware of their illness, and one who is not. The first person is likely to take their medication, the second less likely," he said.

So, a person is mentally ill, whatever that means. And they become aware that they're mentally ill. This indicates that their capacity for introspection is advanced, apparently. Now, a second person is mentally ill, whatever that means. But they are not aware (refuse to accept?), that their thoughts and behaviour are those of a mentally ill person. This second person's introspective capabilities are less advanced. Well, I'm glad that that's cleared up!

So, this fabulous "discovery" is of no fucking use, whatever, unless we are in a position whereby we may improve a person's introspective capabilities, such that they can see the world in exactly the same way we do, and perceive that they are, indeed, as mentally ill as we tell them they are. Whereupon they can start taking their medication. On the other hand, if they start seeing the world in the same way we do, then either they've become sane, or else we have to join them on the psychiatrist's couch.

I think my capacity for introspection has been severely diminished by all the bullshit I've been fed, because I can't for the life of me see where my thoughts have gone wrong, here. After all, if I was thinking straight, I'd perceive that this discovery was actually worthwhile, so I must have gone wrong, somewhere.

2 comments:

Ana said...

I didn't read the whole post.
I'm not sure if there is a person who suffer any mental disease is not aware of that.
What do they mean by "not aware"?
Strange.
I talked to many and they don't like being labeled but they know!
I will read it later.
How is the weather in UK?
:)

Radagast said...

Ana: [shrug] Your guess is as good as mine. There are plenty of people around whose sanity is never questioned (eg, politicians), but I wouldn't want to be like them. If that means that I'm mentally ill, then I'll take that tag!

Matt