Monday 28 June 2010

Journey into the unknown: Simulating a trip to Mars

I'm sure there's something profoundly inspiring about this (going to Mars, I mean, not being locked up in single-storey council house with decor circa the 1970s), but I can't think what it is...

Journey into the unknown: Simulating a trip to Mars

The question that keeps pressing itself upon my consciousness is "why?". "Because we can"? No, there must be more to it than that, and the ability to do something is generally a poor justification for actually doing it. "Because we think there's a possibility of finding some valuable commodity, or other, there"? That's more like it. "Because we want to add to mankind's fund of knowledge of the universe"? I don't think so, and in any case, mankind's obsession with facts and knowledge has caused it enough problems, already.

Nope, sorry, you've got me there: I neither know nor care why those men are putting on bright blue boiler suits.

No comments: