Sunday 13 September 2009

Megrahi's lawyers to reveal 'evidence of innocence'

This story just keeps on running... In the same way that a festering sore runs, methinks!

Megrahi's lawyers to reveal 'evidence of innocence'

What do I think about this latest development (if I want to be asked interesting questions, then I have to ask them of myself, these days!)? Well on the one hand, I don't actually care that much; after all, none of this impacts me, directly. On the other hand, I do have an interest in the Law, as a general concept...

As one of the commenters observes, we don't have a particularly good record, when it comes to miscarriages of justice - the desire for revenge attaches itself to whomever appears the most likely candidate (I write "desire" - it might just be a habit, who knows?), and Plod the Sod can't necessarily be trusted to be impartial, especially when they're sure that they've got their man. Much like the rest of us, I suppose.

Does it matter whether or not Megrahi is innocent? He's free, after all? I suppose it matters to him. It almost certainly would if he were innocent. But if he is innocent, where does that leave the families of those who died at Lockerbie? Where will they put their hate then?

Oh, what tangled webs we weave... Somebody's lying.

No comments: