Sunday 23 December 2007

Tantrum-prone kids at risk for depression

Study: Aggressive bouts of hysterics may be sign of serious problem

I came across this rather odd piece, originally on Reuters:

Tantrum-prone kids at risk for depression

Apparently, one may not get angry about anything, unless one wants to risk being denounced as mentally ill (whereupon one may be ignored, completely). I wonder if anyone has ever tried to ascertain what these "angry" kids are angry about? And I wonder if anybody has ever questioned the wisdom of teaching people that they may not complain about anything? And, last but not least, I wonder if anybody has ever considered the possibility that the most "tantrum-prone kids" are the ones who have adults' decisions explained to them least often? Probably not, if my experience is anything to go by. I doubt very much that it's the children who are mentally ill, frankly.

Matt

No comments: