Sunday 21 October 2007

Executives arrested at drug firm

Following my posts concerning Trim Bossy Quibblers (anagram), I thought I might have a scout round, just to make sure that no such activities were being pursued in the UK (ie, the bribing of quacks, in order to have them prescribe a certain manufacturer's snake oil remedies). I see that Italy has a bit of an issue with this kind of thing, with an incident involving our good friends at GSK, back in 2003, which I was quick to bring to the MHRA's attention (no doubt the incident was of little concern to it, being outside its jurisdiction):

Italian police investigate GSK Italy for bribery

I see from a SOMO report, dated in late 2004, that the language being used is still of allegations and "accusations," so we shouldn't jump to conclusions. However, I see that SOMO mentions German allegations, too (see p18). More recently, Milanese police have had cause to investigate eight companies, in 2006, including giants Recordati, Pfizer, GlaxoSmithKline, AstraZeneca and Novartis:

Executives arrested at drug firm

I see that Le Monde notes the silence of the media, with respect to the GSK case. Jeez, they must have some powerful friends, because I'd cut their fucking hearts out with a spoon, if it were me (figuratively speaking, obviously). Should I look further? I don't think I've got the stomach for it. Thanks all the same.

Matt

No comments: