Wednesday 5 September 2007

I see a sign... it is a good omen!

The MHRA was kind enough to follow up on a matter that I raised with it a little while back. I'm not sure that it says anything new, particularly, but it's always good to hear from somebody different. The MHRA's correspondence is emboldened, as usual:


Dear (redacted),

I have had an opportunity to read through your letter, for which, again, many thanks. I have the following comments/questions:

I believe the hypothetical scenario relates to a question that I put regarding the investigation into the GSK vaccine business, in Russia. As far as I know, there have been no decisions made as to GSK's culpability, as yet, and as such I understand that you would not wish to speculate on such a matter. In the event, one of the GSK shareholders in the House was kind enough to refer the matter to the then Secretary of State for Health, Patricia Hewitt. The DoH advised me, via the shareholder, that the MHRA does not concern itself with matters that relate to events in other jurisdictions. As such, I feel that I am as well informed on this matter as I care to be.

As to risk/benefit assessments, I believe that that very precise figure of 83 trials relates to a paper that I had read. If I remember aright, it was a piece by Peter Breggin. I regret that I do not have specific details of the trials to which (I presume) Dr Breggin was referring.

However, while I understand from your comments that the MHRA's risk/benefit analysis is perhaps more subjective than objective, I was rather more interested in the procedure involved? I see that 50 trials were held to demonstrate the efficacy of the drug - did any of these involve a review of the raw data, or were statistical summaries only provided?

Either way, I would be interested to understand how "efficacy" was demonstrated, given that Mr Goldfinch has advised me to the effect that it was not necessary for an applicant to demonstrate the level of efficacy, merely that there was efficacy. I must confess that I am struggling with this one, because if one doesn't have a frame of reference, then it will not be possible to judge whether a drug is efficacious, or not, I should have thought. Indeed, unless placebo and drug's performance are measured against the same scale, then any amount of numbers will be meaningless, irrespective of what the applicant says that the summary demonstrates. Furthermore, one may not say with confidence (nor with the conviction of truth) that a drug is better than placebo, if one does not know what the drug scored, relative to the placebo. Nor will it help if one is unaware as to what the placebo scored.

In summation, then, I am keen to understand the procedure followed in the assessment process, including the risk:benefit analysis, however mercurial the latter element may be?

Best regards

(redacted)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: (redacted)
To: (redacted)
CC: (redacted)
Subject: FOI 07/088 Seroxat
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 15:56:57 +0100


Dear (redacted),

Please see attached response to your previous query, and please accept my apologies for the considerable delay in responding.

Kind regards

(redacted)
Licensing Division
MHRA
Tel 0207 084 2391
Fax 0207 084 2323

Attachment:
FOI 07/088

Dear (redacted),

Regarding you enquiry back in 9 March 2007, I regret that this was not addressed at the time, however I am able to address your queries which was as follows:

“I understand that the MHRA may have issues commenting on legal matters, particularly when such matters pertain to a jurisdiction outside its own. What would be its response, in the event that an (unnamed) pharmaceutical company were found to have breached a law in another jurisdiction, which also happened to be a law in the UK?”
The MHRA is unable to comment on a hypothetical scenario.

“I am interested to note your comment, concerning risk/benefit assessment. I understand that 83 trials were carried out on Seroxat, during the period 1980-91. What fraction of these did the MCA/MHRA view the results of? Indeed, I would be most interested to understand the technicalities of the MHRA's risk analysis. Perhaps you could advise me, on this point.”

Without a list of the 83 trials to which you refer it is not possible to say which of those trials the MHRA has viewed the results of. However, I have been able to ascertain the following information from the original assessment report:

Human Pharmacology: 59 studies were analysed and presented Pharmacokinetic data was obtained from over 60 studies; Drug interaction data was obtained from 30 studies; Efficacy data was supported by over 50 studies (11 Placebo controlled studies; 16 comparator studies; 4 double blind comparator studies, 5 long term efficacy studies; 19 open studies). Safety data will have been obtained from the above mentioned trials.

Regarding the technicalities of the MHRA’s risk analysis. There is no magic formula that can be used to weight the risk/benefit analysis, it is purely a case of considering the benefit(s) that the patients in the trials have experienced against the potential and demonstrated adverse reactions reported in the trials. Obviously the severity and the reversibility of reported adverse reactions need to be carefully balanced against the benefit to the patient of taking the product. The quality of life of the patient if untreated is also a factor that has to be taken into consideration. For some products it may be very easy to establish risk/benefit, however, there are those where the risk/benefit is less clear cut. This is one of the reasons why all new chemical entities (medicinal product) are considered by the Commission on Human Medicines (previously the Committee on the Safety of Medicine) and it subcommittees before a marketing authorisation is granted. It is also the reason why all new drugs have a black triangle for at least 3 years following the initial granting of a licence, to warn prescribers to be vigilant as this is a new product for which there is only limited experience.

If you have a query about this letter, please contact me. If you are unhappy with our decision, you may ask for it to be reviewed. That review will be undertaken by a senior member of the Agency who has not previously been involved in your request. If you wish to pursue that option please write to the Communications Directorate, 10th Floor, Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency, at the above address quoting the above reference. After that, if you remain dissatisfied, you may ask the Information Commissioner at The Information Commissioner's Office Wycliffe House Water Lane Wilmslow Cheshire SK9 5AF to make a decision on whether or not we have interpreted the FOIA correctly in withholding information from you.

Yours sincerely



(redacted)
Licensing Division
MHRA


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: (redacted)
Sent: 09 March 2007 17:21
To: MHRA Information Centre
Cc: The Four
Subject: RE:


Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your kind reply.

I understand that the MHRA may have issues commenting on legal matters, particularly when such matters pertain to a jurisdiction outside its own. What would be its response, in the event that an (unnamed) pharmaceutical company were found to have breached a law in another jurisdiction, which also happened to be a law in the UK?

I am interested to note your comment, concerning risk/benefit assessment. I understand that 83 trials were carried out on Seroxat, during the period 1980-91. What fraction of these did the MCA/MHRA view the results of? Indeed, I would be most interested to understand the technicalities of the MHRA's risk analysis. Perhaps you could advise me, on this point.

Best regards

(redacted)

No comments: